Installing Venom’s Antidote muzzle brake & tactical gas block on an AK (Kalashnikov) barrel
We decided to remove the standard gas block, front sight and brake from our AK rifle. We wanted to install a Bolton gas block and the new, Venom Tactical Antidote muzzle brake, which required a 14x1mm left-hand thread on the end of the muzzle.
This project requires us to remove the barrel, strip the gas system and front sight assembly from it, install a Bolton gas block, cut, crown and thread the barrel, and blind pin and weld the muzzle device in place.
Prior to beginning our project, we ordered the following items from Brownells
Our our project begins with a Saiga rifle converted to standard AK format by Arsenal.
We verify the rifle is safe and empty prior to handling it. This documents our work on our own rifle and is presented for informational purposes only. The rifle is then completely stripped before heading over to the hydraulic press with our barrel press kit.
Once the barrel is secured to the receiver, the entire assembly is degreased, blasted with aluminum oxide media, and coated in graphite black Cerakote. The rifle is then reassembled. An overview of the process we use can be found here.
We are now ready to head to the range with our newly customized rifle. A review of the Antidote muzzle brake will be posted as soon as we get a chance to put it through its paces.
We finally hit the range with our newly installed Bolton gas block and Wolverine flash hider. Firing a approximately 250 rounds, we did not experience one malfunction with the new system. We are really impressed. The rifle handles significantly better […]
Rifleshooter.com teams up with Brownell’s to update an old AR-15 The following article chronicles our build and is for informational purposes only. Reflecting on the round count for the carbine I am currently shooting, […]
I was lucky enough to find an old 870 Wingmaster receiver for sale. Having been a Remington 870 aficionado since the mid-90s, I developed quite the collection of spare parts, and those parts needed an […]