DRD tactical, manufacturer of the exotic Paratus Clandestine Break-Down Rifle, also makes a takedown kit for conventional AR-15/M16 type rifles.
The kit consists of a complete upper receiver, barrel nut and front rail. The end user supplies the charging handle, bolt carrier group, barrel, gas block, gas tube and muzzle device.
I ordered the kit and the following parts from Brownells:
- DRD quick takedown build kit (100-012-676)
- Criterion 16″ hybrid contour carbine length gas system barrel, 223 Wylde (100-010-179)
- Mk 12 gas block (093-000-026)
- Nitormet gas tube (100-010-978)
- Nib-X bolt and carrier group (100-010-556)
- Nightforce NXS 1-4 (100-012-553)
- ADM recon mount (100-005-761)
The DRD takedown system assembled quickly. The rail system is securely fastened to the upper receiver with no noticeable play.
The longest part of the carbine shown here was the barrel assembly. It measured 18 5/8″ long. This is 6″ shorter than a standard 16″ carbine upper.
I plan on checking to see how much the zero changes each time the rifle is broken down and reporting back.