My friend purchased a BAT Machine Model VR short action (left-handed). This action has a Remington 700 short action footprint so it will work with standard Remington bottom metal.
The Model VR action includes an integral rail, external bolt stop, and integral lug. You’ll notice the bolt lugs are even with the bolt face. This action does not require a bolt nose recess. The action uses a tenon .776″ long with a 1-1/16″ x 18 thread. Standard Remington 700s use a 1-1/16″ x 16 thread and have a longer tenon length determined by the recoil lug thickness.
In the pictures below you’ll notice it is well machined and finished.
Here are the specifications from BAT’s website:
- Bolt: 4140; 40 or 44 RC depending on action
- Bolt Handle: 17-4 SS
- Firing pin: 1144-fatigue proof
- Shroud: 303 SS
- Cocking Piece: 1018 Carburized
- Body: 17-4 SS; 36-38 RC
- Body: 4140 CM; 36-38 RC
Action body to bolt clearance:
- HR & VR actions: .0025 inch
- Firing pin travel: .210-.230 inch.
- Firing pin tip diameter: .070 inch
- Firing pin protrusion: .054-.056 inch
Action bolt diameter:
- 2 lug actions: 0.719 inch Bore: .720 Bolt: .7185
- 3 lug actions: 0.900 inch Bore: .900 Bolt: .8985
- 2.2 milliseconds